Thursday, February 9, 2012

A MUST Read!!

Good Thursday!! All day (well morning and still going), I've been so humble and at ease... and I think the Act in Kindness vibes from yesterday have overflowed to today! It got me thinking more and more about The Four Agreements I just finished by Don Miguel Ruiz, and what a great message it left imprinted in my brain!! So I thought I'd share with you guys the four agreements!



This book is really a guide to helping you realize your self-limiting beliefs which create a sense of needless suffering, and how to achieve your own personal freedom in life. With that said, I'll highlight my fav parts of the book, with each agreement explained. Here we go!!

1.  Be impeccable with your word (the most important yet difficult agreement to honor)

Speak with integrity and say only what you mean.... "The word is a force; it is the power you have to express and communicate, to think, and thereby to create the events in your life."

Think about how powerful your word really is!! He goes on to explain that impeccable means free from sin, spiritually and emotionally. Don't say anything that goes against your personal beliefs. Instead speak with your open and honest heart, without being cruel!

2.  Don't take anything personally

Nothing others do is because of you... what others say and do is a projection of their own reality, their own dream.... "Don't take anything personally because by taking things personally you set yourself up to suffer for nothing."

This is amazingly true... at work, school, home... WHERE EVER. If someone rolls their eyes at you, don't think, "what did I do?"... don't take it personally- they can be having a horrible day and taking it out on you silently! This is a great agreement to abide by and would help set yourself free from any guilt, shame or pain.

3.  Don't make assumptions

Find the courage to ask questions and to express what you really want. Communicate with others as clearly as you can to avoid misunderstandings... "We have the need to justify everything, to explain and understand everything, in order to feel safe. We have millions of questions that need answers because there are so many things that the reasoning mind cannot explain... This is why we make assumptions."

Amen to this! I am 100% guilty of assuming, and I try each and every moment to remember how important it is not to assume. Someone asks you a question.... don't assume they need to know for such and such reason... a professor gives you feedback on something... don't assume they are attacking you or think you're inadequate. Stop assuming and ask clearly and concisely!

4.  Always do your best

Your best is going to change from moment to moment; it will be different when you are healthy opposed to when you are sick.... "Do not be concerned about the future; keep your attention on today, and stay in the present moment. Just live one day at a time. Always do your best to keep these agreements, and soon it will be easy for you. Today is the beginning of a new dream."

This is by FAR speaking directly to me!! I can't believe how much this chapter was saying, Beverly... do not be concerned about the future.... Beverly.. keep your attention on today! The only thing I have control over is what I do right now at this moment. This moment will lead onto the next, and when that comes along, I'll deal with it then.

There it is folks!! My summaries and quotes just don't do this book justice.. it's to die for! Makes you feel like you can take on the world all on this Thursday night!! Let me know if you read (or have already read it)!!

No comments:

Pin It button on image hover